Saturday, March 19, 2016

The List: Favourite Music Films (Part 1)


As a pop culture enthusiast, I've always believed that film and music goes hand in hand. Some of the most iconic films have equally memorable soundtracks whether they are instrumental scores or radio-friendly pop tracks. Today, I share five of my favourite cinematic pieces whether their musical biopics, rockumentaries, or just a film with a damn good soundtrack. There's definitely more than five but I'm saving those for another time.





Almost Famous


Music Highlight: Elton John - Tiny Dancer

This is the movie that made me fall in love with music. Sure, I have always loved listening to music even as a kid. I knew every line to Disney theme songs and to every track from The Bodyguard's soundtrack. But this movie literally changed the way I heard music. Almost Famous made me feel the music. No, I didn't want to become a groupie like Penny Lane, instead, I wanted to be William Miller. I wanted to be Lester Bangs. I wanted to be a rock journalist, covering rock concerts, writing a piece of review on every record that affected me.




Mistaken For Strangers


Music Highlight: The National - Terrible Love

One of my favourite rockumentaries ever made. Mistaken For Strangers is endearing, poignant and hits home for me. This is an incredible story about family and how siblings' relationships are not always perfect. I am Tom. I am the youngest in the family, I am the creative one, I am the kid who quits even before things begin, I am the kid who didn't quite make it, the underdog, the black sheep; I am Tom. And I have brother just like Matt. What I love about this film is that it's not entirely about the band. It's a film about family.




Straight Outta Compton


Music Highlight: NWA - Fuck Tha Police

Straight Outta Compton is a piece of music history. Essentially a story of NWA, how they shaped rap music industry and its members' legacy. If you don't know NWA, you should still know super producer and music mogul Dr. Dre and actor/rapper Ice Cube. I am not the biggest hip hop fan in the world but I do appreciate old school rap music. Occasionally, I play the oldies but goodies in my iPod and I try to jam to Salt n Pepa. I always wished I could bust some rhymes or beat box but I can't. 




Pitch Perfect


Music Highlight: Barden Bellas - No Diggity

I went to a private Catholic school for girls so joining girly clubs like the Glee Club was the in thing. I loved music but I knew I can't sing so I never even tried. But I remember one tryout results day, one of my schoolmate burst out crying because she was grouped in Soprano 2. Apparently, you have to be a Soprano 1 to be considered legit. The Soprano 1's were the A-team. They led the group, they had solos, they're the It girls. I remember looking at my schoolmate and not giving a damn about it. So whenever I watch Glee or Pitch Perfect, I always remember that even in nerdy clubs like this, there is a hierarchy, there's a star. Anyway, I love watching this movie every now and again. It's light, funny and easy.




This Movie Is Broken


Music Highlight: Broken Social Scene - Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl
Broken Social Scene

In 2009, Canadian supergroup Broken Social Scene had a free concert in their hometown in Toronto and filmed a movie around it. If you're sick of rockumentaries, or even biopics, then This Movie Is Broken might be just for you. It's a movie complete with fictionalised characters and plot. The story isn't entirely original: boy pines over girl forever, she's leaving, one last night together, go to a BSS concert, but it's endearing and notable. I had the privilege of seeing the band in 2010 before they took their hiatus and it was phenomenal, so watching this movie with a star-studded ensemble was like taking a trip down memory lane.



Find Happiness:
RSS Instagram Instagram Pinterest Tumblr Twitter Vimeo Youtube